
I served this to the kids yesterday and it was a huge hit! Nearly all of them said it was their favorite dish I've made. They say that every time they like something I make, but trust me it's good. :)
Recipe from Tried and True Cooking with Heidi
2 20oz. packs of boneless skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup soy sauce
6 TBSP cider vinegar
3/4 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp pepper
4-1/2 tsp cornstarch (I ended up needing another 2 tsp. of to get mine to thicken)
4-1/2 tsp cold water
Hot cooked brown rice
Place chicken in slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, garlic and pepper. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook medium to high for 4-5 hours or until chicken juices run clear or until chicken is as tender as you would like it to be. Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Transfer cooking juices to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken and rice if desired.
*As noted above, I ended up needing another 2 tsp. of cornstarch to thicken sauce. I just mixed my cornstarch with a very small amount of water - it is not necessary that you measure your water.
I made this tonight and it was AWESOME!! We were all part of the 'clean plate club'! Served with brown rice and steamed stir fry veggies, the sauce had a hint of sweetness, it was perfect! Thanks for sharing :o)
ReplyDelete