One of my newest goals is to be more creative with vegetables and to cook with vegetables that I have never experimented with. I have seen mashed cauliflower many times and I know it is a healthier alternative to mashed potatoes; however, I have never gotten around to actually cooking it myself. I am thankful I finally did it! This was a lot easier than suspected and so healthy for my family! I served this alongside my new favorite BBQ meatballs (recipe previously posted). My sister gave me a tip to sneak this into a variety of dishes!
Recipe idea from Multiply Delicious
FYI - I didn't buy the fresh herbs when making this for the first time. I just used onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Jay did not like the addition of the garlic, but I did. I included the whole original recipe as seen on the blog Multiply Delicious; you can adjust it to your tastes. It would taste great with just the onion, salt and pepper added.
1 head of cauliflower, washed, and cut into florets
32 oz. garden carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-2 inch coins
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:
Place cauliflower and carrots in separate steamers on the stove and steam until soft (about 10 to 12
minutes, test with fork).
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in non-stick skillet on medium heat. Saute onion, garlic, and herbs until onion is translucent. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Place steamed cauliflower and carrots into a food processor. Add the
sauteed onion, garlic, herbs, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Process
until smooth. Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
Garnish with additional fresh thyme or rosemary and serve.
*I prepared mine ahead of time, and then poured everything into a greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish. I covered it with tinfoil and heated it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. There is no real science to reheating it if you choose to prepare it ahead of time.

No comments:
Post a Comment