Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!

I did it! I made sushi!!!! This was our Valentine's Day dinner (we celebrated this last weekend)....



Do you see the heart shaped sushi? I ended up putting spicy mayo in my rolls, and so the heart shaped rolls didn't hold their shape the greatest.

Yum! Edamame...they say this is one of the most highly profited foods in the restaurant business. I believe it!

Chocolate covered long-stem strawberries! Truly a weakness of mine. :) If you plan on making these, make them the day you plan on serving them and do not refrigerate them. The chocolate and strawberries are so much better at room temperature.


Here is what I learned...
1. The flavor of the sushi was perfect. It tasted just like I would have ordered it. Jay was OVERLY impressed! I used the recipe recently posted from Brown Eyed Baker. I filled some rolls with imitation crab and some with shrimp. I also added cucumber, carrots, and spicy mayo.
2. The sushi rice was a pain to make! I am wondering if the restaurants would just let me order the rice at an affordable price so that I could make my own rolls at home.
3. Next time I will drizzle the rolls with spicy mayo on the top instead of filling it in the rolls. I may even use a squeeze bottle from Jo-Ann's.
4. I also learned that if I make a plate of chocolate covered strawberries, they will all be eaten! Between me, my man, and my two boys, we had no problem finishing off this plate! :)

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

*Here is the recipe of the seasoning added to the sushi rice from Brown Eyed Baker. I originally followed the complete cooking instructions for the rice from the Brown Eyed Baker site; however, the rice did not seem to cook perfectly. There was still a small amount of rice that was a bit nutty. Next time I will just cook the rice according to the directions on the package and then add the seasoning suggested from Brown Eyed Baker. This is reflected in the recipe below.

Sushi Rice Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

5 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
11/2 teaspoons sea salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar


Make the Sushi Rice according to the directions on the package, but first: Pour the rice into a fine-mesh strainer, large enough so you can freely toss and turn the grains. Have at hand a larger bowl into which the strainer can easily fit and fill it with cold tap water. Pour the rice into the strainer, then lower the strainer into the large bowl so that the water covers the rice. With both hands, gently rub, turn, and toss the rice. Do not press the grains too hard against the strainer or against one another, or the fragile grains may break. The water will instantly turn milky white, so remove the strainer from the large bowl, discard the water, and refill the bowl with fresh cold water. Return the rice-filled strainer to the bowl and repeat. On the second rinsing, the water will look only slightly milky. Repeat twice more. When you have finished, the water will be almost clear, but it will not reach 100% clarity. Drain the rice and let it sit in the strainer for 10 minutes.

2. Transfer the rice to a heavy-bottomed pot that is deeper than it is wide and has a heavy, tightly fitting lid, add the water, and cook according to the directions on the package.

3. While the rice is cooking, put the rice vinegar, salt, and sugar in a bowl and stir with a whisk until the sugar and salt are almost dissolved.

4. Transfer the steaming hot cooked rice all at once to the bowl. Quickly and gently break up the rice, crisscrossing it with the side of your paddle. Pour the prepared vinegar dressing evenly over it and, with the paddle; break up the lumpy clumps and turn the rice over, working one area at a time. Repeat once or twice until you can tell by looking that the vinegar dressing is roughly distributed throughout the rice.

5. Let the sushi rice cool to a temperature of 104 degrees F before using, covered with a moist kitchen cloth to prevent it from drying out.

No comments:

Post a Comment