
This is a big big BIG favorite of mine! It is so cool and refreshing, and the dressing is sweet and light. I asked for this recipe from a friend of mine, and every time I have made it, more friends have asked me for the recipe. It is wonderful - you must try it!
**Only half of the salad is shown. I pour dressing on only half for Jay and I, because the whole amount could feed a crowd. I save the other half for the next day.
Recipe from C Love
Candied Almond Topping:
6 oz. slivered almonds
3/4 c. sugar
**I only end up using half of the almonds made. I save the other half for when I make the salad again (I also have other recipes for salads that call for candied almonds).
Dressing:
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 T. sugar
4 T. white vinegar
1/2 c. canola oil
1/4 tsp. tabasco
2 T. dried parsley flakes
Salad:
1 Bag of 3 Romaine Hearts, cut up
6 chopped green onions (green and white parts)
1 c. chopped celery (I used 3 stalks)
2 (11oz.) cans of mandarin oranges, drained well
1. Cook almonds with sugar over medium heat until sugar is melted. Stir constantly and cook until lightly browned. Spread nuts on parchment paper to cool; once cool, break into small pieces.
2. Stir together dressing ingredients and store in fridge. I like to use a Tupperware shaker as the oil will settle.
3. Combine lettuce, celery and onion in large bowl. Just before serving, add drained mandarin oranges, dressing and almonds.
Here is a pic of the candied almonds cooling on the parchment paper. I always place a towel under them, so they don't scorch the counter-tops.

I love a good chopped salad where the lettuce bites are not too big. Whenever I buy Romaine lettuce I buy just 1 bag of Romaine Hearts, rather than two bags of the pre-cut stuff.

I slice each Romaine heart into 1 inch strips down to the core.

Then I cut the strips into small bite size pieces.

Throw it all in the salad spinner...wash and dry, and you're good to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment