Thursday, April 14, 2011

Craisin Salad


This is another AWESOME salad! It is seriously a huge hit every time I make it! This one can feed a crowd, so when I am making it for Jay and myself, I just portion out what I want. I use the same lettuce I use for the mandarin orange salad, as well as the leftover sugared almonds.

Recipe from Jenny T.

Salad:
1 Bag of Romaine Hearts, chopped (OR 2 Bags of Precut Romaine Lettuce)
1/2 small Red Onion, diced
1/2 of a 12 oz. package of Craisins (really just eyeball how many you want)
1 4oz. container of crumbled Feta Cheese (I used Crystal Farms)

Mix together lettuce, onion and craisins. Just before serving, add sugared almonds, feta cheese, and dressing.

Sugared Almonds:
6 oz. slivered almonds
3/4 c. sugar
**I only end up using half of the almonds made. I save the other half for when I make the salad again (I also have other recipes for salads that call for candied almonds).

Cook almonds with sugar in skillet over medium heat until sugar is melted. Stir constantly and cook until lightly browned. Spread nuts on parchment paper to cool; once cool, break into small pieces.

Dressing:
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. dry mustard
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. almond extract
2 T. diced red onion
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Place sugar, mustard, salt, almond extract, onion and vinegar in blender. Blend well, and then add oil. Pour into a Tupperware shaker and chill. Shake well before adding to greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment