Monday, January 31, 2011

Salad with Sugared Pecans, Bleu Cheese and Pears


I absolutely love homemade salads and salad dressings! The only thing that stinks about them is that you really have no idea what the outcome will taste like until it is all prepared and put together. This recipe was so worth it! Everything about it - the bleu cheese, crisp sweet pears, sugared pecans, choice of greens, etc. Apparently this salad even won an award! I most definitely will make this one again.

Recipe from Prudence Pennywise

Salad:
1 bag (10 oz.) mixed baby spring greens (I did not end up using all of this)
1/2 thinly sliced red onion
2 Bosc pears, peeled and thinly sliced or cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup bleu cheese, crumbled

Dressing:
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecan halves
2 T. pure maple syrup
5 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. brown sugar
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Sugared Pecans:
1 cup coarsely chopped pecan halves
1/2 cup white sugar

Dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients and process in blender or food processor until creamy; transfer to Tupperware shaker container and chill until ready to serve.

Sugared Pecans: In medium skillet over medium high heat, melt 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in 1 cup lightly toasted pecans. Stir until nuts are well coated, then transfer to wax paper coated with cooking spray (I forgot to spray my wax paper with cooking spray and it still came off easily). When cool, break into pieces and set aside.

Salad:
In large bowl, toss greens, onion, pears, cheese and sugared pecans. Add just enough Dressing to coat well (I did not use all the dressing).

No comments:

Post a Comment