
This is the broccoli version of the classic green bean casserole. It was so good and cheesy, and was exactly what I was looking for in a broccoli cheese casserole! It was not a win for everyone in the daycare though. The kids who love broccoli thought I ruined the broccoli. The kids who dislike broccoli loved it and gobbled it all up! :)
Recipe adapted from Campbell's Kitchen
1 16oz. Bag of Fresh Broccoli Florets (found in the produce section)
1 can cheddar cheese soup
3/4 cup milk
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I prefer Sharp)
1 6oz. container French's fried onions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2-3 quart casserole dish.
Steam the broccoli a bit until slightly tender (you don't want to steam it too long, or it will get mushy as it cooks in the oven).
Mix soup, milk, salt, pepper, 1 cup shredded cheese, and half the container of fried onions. Toss steamed broccoli with soup mixture and place in greased casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining half cup of shredded cheese evenly over the top. Cover and bake for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining fried onions and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until fried onions are browned.

Drew asked me last night if I, too, could make broccoli with crunchy onions on top. He loved it!
ReplyDelete