Friday, December 10, 2010

Crockpot Beef Stroganoff


I told Jay the other day that I was going to attempt to make beef stroganoff. He said that sounded good. I was afraid I would disappoint him because I was not sure if I would get the traditional-classic-home style taste on my first try. The Internet is flooded with this recipe and I was a little pessimistic about getting it right and the way I wanted it. I must say, I was so pleasantly surprised with this recipe! This is perfect and I will not change a thing nor will I try another recipe again - it is that good.

Recipe from My Kitchen Cafe

Put in crock pot:
2-3 pounds stew meat (I used 2 1/2 pounds)
1 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1 onion, sliced the way you like

Mix in a bowl and pour over meat:
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon ketchup


1/3 cup flour
5-6 T. extra beef broth
8oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced (Place in skillet, drizzle with a bit of extra beef broth and saute until slightly tender and moisture is released.)


1/2 cup sour cream



Cook first two sets of ingredients in crockpot on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.

When cooked make a simple roux by whisking 1/3 cup flour with enough beef broth (about 5-6 tablespoons) to make a thick but still pourable flour mixture. Whisk the roux into the crockpot and add sauteed mushrooms. Cook on high for 15-30 minutes. After the 30 minutes are up, stir in 1/2 cup sour cream. Serve over cooked egg noodles or any starch of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment