
Do not be afraid! I know, I know making a homemade bread scared me too. However, I really wanted to master this challenge and I'm so glad I did. I loved this bread so much that I will never need to try another wheat bread recipe again. I have read that wheat bread can be hard to make because a lot of times it comes out dense or tough. This recipe makes a really soft and light loaf of bread. It really is not a lot of work at all. When you have a lazy weekend, just consider making this. The smell alone will make you happy you did. Like me, you will be so proud of yourself. If I can do it, anyone can!
Recipe from Mommy's Kitchen Blog
2 cups warm water (I just ran my tap water until really hot)
1/2 cup sugar
2 T. Yeast (I used Red Star Active Dry Yeast)
1/2 cup shortening
1 T. salt
5 1/2 cups whole wheat bread (I just used Pillsbury's Whole Wheat Flour)
Add sugar to warm (not boiling) water in a large bowl (I used my Tupperware mega plastic bowl). Measure and add yeast to water making sure to measure your yeast with a plastic measuring spoon. Stir in yeast with a wooden spoon. Then add shortening by the spoonfuls to allow it to soften a bit in the warm mixture. Cover the bowl with a dish towel until yeast is dissolved (I waited 10 minutes). At this point the shortening will be softened, but it will not be mixed in completely. Add flour and salt, and knead the dough while in the bowl for 5 minutes. Cover and allow to rise for 10 minutes. Knead again for 5 minutes. Cover and allow to rise for another 10 minutes. Repeat once more for a total of three times. *Don't worry if your bread is not rising a whole lot at this point. Tear the dough into two equal parts. Using a rolling pin, roll each ball of dough into a rectangle (about 7x11, no need to be too picky about the shape of the rectangle). Roll the dough up starting with the narrow end. Pinch the seams along the length of the dough and on the ends. Place the dough into a glass 8.5 x 4.5 inch loaf pan that has been greased with shortening...making sure the seam side of the dough is placed towards the bottom. Place both loaves in the oven, but do not turn the oven on. Warm a glass bowl filled with water in the microwave for a few minutes until the water is warm. Place the bowl of water on a rack in the oven beneath the loaves of bread. Turn the oven light on and close the oven door. Let the bread rise for at least 2 hours. Do not open the door of the oven while the bread is rising. The bread will double in size. Once the bread has risen, remove the dough and bowl of water from the oven and then preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the bread back in the oven and bake the bread for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool and remove from pans.
*If you want to see pictures of each step, check out www.Mommyskitchen.net

No comments:
Post a Comment