Monday, November 15, 2010

Classic Chili


I have been making this recipe for years now, and I wouldn't change a thing. I usually always make cornbread muffins with it.

Recipe from Country Cooking

1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup celery (I usually add a little more)
1 T. olive oil
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 cans (28oz. each) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (29 oz.) can tomato sauce
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cans (16 oz. each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained

**The recipe calls to make it all in a soup kettle or a Dutch oven and let simmer for an hour and a half. I usually prepare the veggies and meat in a large skillet and then transfer the meat mixture and all the other ingredients, minus the kidney beans, in a crockpot and let sit for a few hours. Thirty minutes before serving, I will add the kidney beans.

Original Recipe:
In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute onions, green pepper and celery in oil until somewhat tender, about 5 minutes. Add beef and cool until browned; drain. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add rinsed kidney beans. Simmer, uncovered 10 minutes longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment