Monday, June 11, 2012

Sloppy Joes

I have been reading labels a lot more lately, and one thing I have vowed to stay away from more often is cans.  Most cans are lined with bpa, and that includes Campbell's.  Since my traditional sloppy joe recipe calls for an unhealthy can of Campbell's tomato soup, I went on the search for a new recipe.  Luckily, I came across a great crockpot recipe that only calls for one can of tomato sauce.  I know that the organic Muir Glen brand of tomato products makes their cans with a bpa free can.  So this was a definite winner in my book....

Recipe from Country Cook

Ingredients:
2 - 2 1/2 pounds ground beef or 2 (20 oz.) packs of ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 (8oz.) can tomato sauce (I use Muir Glen Organic)
1/2 cup Ketchup (I use Simply Heinz Tomato Ketchup, it contains no HFCS)
1/2 cup water
1/4 brown sugar, packed
1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tbsp. yellow mustard
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper, to taste
1  bag frozen cubed sweet potatoes
8 Hamburger Buns, toasted (I LOVE Rudi's Brand 100% Whole Wheat)


Directions:
In a large pan, brown ground beef with chopped onion.
Crumble and cook until no longer pink.
Drain excess grease.
Put ground beef mixture into your slow cooker.
Add in the rest of your ingredients (except hamburger buns)
Give it all a good stir.
Cover and cook on low for about 4-6 hours.


These are bags of frozen cubed sweet potatoes and butternut squash found at Mississippi Market.  I love how convenient these are!

No comments:

Post a Comment