Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Potato Salad


My MIL makes the very best potato salad, and with a little practice I believe I can closely match it. The difficult part is that there is no real measurements...a little of this, a little of that. You know how it goes. :) When preparing this one, make sure you make it the night before. It needs to chill overnight so that the flavors can meld and the potatoes are no longer warm.

This salad is my favorite! It is hard to buy the store bought salad, after tasting this one!

7 Average sized potatoes
12 hard-boiled eggs (use 14 if you have extra, just in case one or two doesn't peel nicely).
3/4 onion, diced into very small pieces
Celery, cut into small pieces (I usually eyeball it, maybe 6 stalks)
Salt and Pepper to taste (be a little more generous with the salt and pepper than with the other seasonings)
Dash of onion salt, garlic salt, and dill weed (you could switch one of the salts out for celery salt if you preferred)

Miracle Whip (I usually buy a 30oz. container)
Yellow Mustard (just a swirl or two)
scant 1/2 cup of sugar

Quarter the potatoes and boil until just tender enough (once the water is boiling, I usually wait 8-10 minutes and then check). Peel the potatoes and cut into bite-sized pieces.
Hard boil all the eggs, peel immediately, and then cut into small pieces.
Toss potatoes, celery, onion, and eggs with seasonings (salt, pepper, onion salt, garlic salt, and dill). Be careful not to mash your potatoes.
Mix miracle whip with sugar and mustard and then add to potato mixture.

Must chill overnight! Sprinkle paprika on top before serving. You could also slice one hard-boiled egg and lay on the top of salad to add to the presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment