Friday, May 6, 2011

Ham & Asparagus Casserole


If you don't already know, I love hotdishes! I am pretty proud of this one because it doesn't call for any Campbell's soups, which makes it healthier...at least in my eyes. :) I still have much love for Campbell's though.

Recipe from Taste of Home

1 12 oz. Bag of Ronzoni Smart Taste Yolk Free Egg Noodles
1 Bunch of Asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces (I prefer ones that are a bit thin)
1/2 of a large onion, diced
2 T. Butter
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups skim milk
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
Diced Ham (I used 1/2 of a 2 pound Jennie-O turkey ham)
2 T. Dried Parsley Flakes
1 small container of French's Fried Onions
Approx. 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer Sharp)

1. Cook the noodles according to the package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, steam asparagus pieces until crispy tender.

2. In a large skillet, saute chopped onion in butter until tender. Combine the flour, thyme and pepper; gradually whisk in milk and broth until smooth. Add milk mixture to the skillet. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.

3. Drain the noodles and place in a large bowl for easy mixing; add ham, parsley, sauce and asparagus and stir to combine. Transfer to a greased 9x13 baking dish (deep dish). Top with cheese and then onions.

4. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly. (I prepared mine the night before, and so I removed it from the oven 30 minutes before baking and then needed to bake it for 45 minutes.) Uncover and broil a few minutes longer or until the cheese and onions are golden brown. Enjoy!

Before baking, and placing the onions and cheese on...

Complete, and ready to eat...

No comments:

Post a Comment