Thursday, April 28, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup


I don't usually want soup in the spring or summer. However, if I did, I would opt for chicken noodle soup. It is just one of those "feel good" soups, that is perfect for when your feeling sick or just a rainy day (and we seem to be having plenty of those around here lately). When I made this for the kids, I explained to them that homemade chicken noodle soup is kind of a special thing. They asked how I made it, and I just said I put lot's of love in it. They all looked at me completely confused and one child replied, "I don't see any hearts in it." Another child chimed in and asked, "Brenda did you put really small hearts in it, because we can't see them?" I absolutely love how literal a child can be! :)

I have attempted this soup three times. First let me tell you the recipe comes from the Pioneer Woman, so you know it's good. The original recipe calls for a whole uncooked chicken. It instructs you to cut the chicken into pieces and boil it in the water, in return making your chicken broth. I did this at first because sometimes I feel things should just be done the old traditional way. However, after thinking about it, and working with the recipe a bit, I thought it would really save a lot of time if I bought already an cooked chicken and added chicken base to some water for the stock. My second time I made it with just chicken breasts and the third time with a cooked rotisserie chicken (meat removed from the bone). The mixture of white and dark meat from the whole chicken tastes so much better than just the white meat of the breasts. In the end I have come up with a great recipe I will stick to for years. This recipe is a blend between the Pioneer Woman's recipe and the recipe found on the back of the Reame's Homestyle Egg Noddles bag.

Note - As with most soups, this is best eaten the next day. Oh and heads up - this recipe makes a ton! :)

6 T. Chicken Base (or chicken granules - just follow what the jar says to mix with four quarts of water)
4 Quarts of Water
1 Rotisserie Chicken (meat removed from the bone)
2 tsp. Dried Parsley Flakes
1 tsp. Dried Thyme
1/4 tsp. Ground White Pepper
1/2 tsp. Tumeric (added for color)
1 Fresh Bay Leaf (or 2 small dried leaves)
1/2 large onion, diced
3 whole carrots, peeled and diced
2 stalks celery and a few inner stalks with leaves left on.
1 (12oz.) package of Reame's Homestyle Egg Noodles
1/2 cup flour mixed with water

In a large pot, add water, parsley, thyme, pepper, chicken base, tumeric, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
Add noodles, chicken, carrots, celery and onion; return to a boil. Reduce heat and cover; simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until done.
In a liquid-tight container, combine 1/2 cup flour with about 1 cup of water; shake well until smooth. Add to soup and continue cooking over medium heat until thickened and heated through.




This is what the soup would look like if you added just 1/4 cup flour at the end, instead of 1/2 cup. It is definitely more thin, but still good. With 1/2 cup flour, you still do not have a thick soup, but it is more creamy than this. You decide what you would like for yourself. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment