
I wanted to make these waffles for the kids on Valentine's Day for breakfast, but after planning cookies and cupcakes, I figured they needed to stick to healthy meals for the day. These waffles are awesome and after eating one with the strawberry sauce, I'm not sure I could make them without it. The strawberry sauce was so good it almost made me want to lick my plate clean. :)
Recipe from Annie's Eats and Our Best Bites
Waffles:
1 1/2 cups (7 oz.) all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. (1¾ oz.) sugar
1/2 cup (1½ oz.) cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 large eggs, beaten
4 tbsp. butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
Nonstick cooking spray
Directions:
Preheat the waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Preheat the oven to 200˚ F.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Whisk to blend. In another bowl combine the eggs, butter, vanilla and buttermilk. Whisk to blend well. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Stir in the mini chocolate chips. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
Fill the waffle iron with batter and cook until the waffle is crisp and completely cooked (I let my waffles cook for 7 minutes total). Transfer finished waffles to the preheated oven and repeat until all the batter has been used. Serve immediately with strawberry sauce, fresh berries and whipped cream.
Strawberry Sauce:
1 pint strawberries
1/3 c. white sugar
1 tsp. almond extract
Wash strawberries and remove stems. Roughly chop the berries. Combine berries, sugar, and extract in medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for five minutes, stirring/breaking strawberries up with a wooden spoon constantly (I used a potato masher). After five minutes, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly (if you have a glass blender jar) and a lot (if you have a plastic blender jar). When cool enough, transfer mixture to blender and pulse until desired consistency is reached (I liked mine smooth and frothy).
What else can you do with strawberry sauce?
--Drizzle over a banana split
--Drizzle over plain cheesecake
--Spoon some over ice cream
--Mix a couple of tablespoons (depending on the size of the glass and your own personal taste) with fresh-squeezed lemonade for strawberry lemonade. (I'm so going to do this one!)
--Spoon over chocolate waffles, french toast, waffles, or pancakes.
--Drizzle over angel food cake and add a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
No comments:
Post a Comment