
Jay and I have an ongoing "joke" about White Castle. He apparently loves going there, and I down right refuse. Anytime, we are driving and I see he takes an unexpected turn I ask him, "Where are you going?" He nearly always replies with, "White Castle." A lot of times he will even joke about taking me there for special events, such as Valentines' Day or our Anniversary. I absolutely refuse to eat at Taco Bell and White Castle. I gave them a few tries during my college days and have every reason to boycott them now...you know what I mean. It wasn't until about a year after saying I would never go to White Castle again that I found out that they name their burgers "sliders." That just about set it in stone for me. Sliders!? Really!? Well I guess that's no surprise.
Well anyway, I saw this recipe a while back and it definitely perked my interest. I recently had a school-ager visit for a day and his request for lunch was "Cheeseburgers!" I have never made cheeseburgers without the grill, and so normally I would have to say no. However, after having a friend try this recipe out and say they were good, I thought I would give it a go. The only thing that was stopping me was that the original recipe was a copycat and was titled, "White Castle Sliders!" The recipe calls for 80/20 ground beef, so that it just tastes more like the real thing. I wanted to give it a try, but I only wanted to use my lean ground beef I typically use. So in other words, I wasn't sure if lunch would exactly turn out. Needles to say, it did! The burgers were the perfect size for the kids and they were awesome! I am so happy to have tried this. The burgers were de-lish and it made it feel like it was summertime. I am so happy to be able to cook burgers for the kids from now on!
*This would be great party food.
Recipe from Mommy's Kitchen
1/2 cup dried onion flakes (I didn't exactly measure mine)
2 pounds ground chuck- 80/20 ground beef (I use regular lean meat)
1/2 t. seasoned salt (I didn't measure this either)
6 slices cheddar cheese or american cheese slices
12- small party rolls (Sara Lee Rolls - I am sure the wheat dinner rolls from the deli would work to)
dill pickle slices, ketchup, mustard, etc.
Evenly spread the onions on the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Gently press the ground beef on top of the onion flakes. Press evenly making one giant pattie. Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Carefully drain the water, and use a paper towel to pat the excess grease from the top of the meat. Top with cheddar cheese, return to oven for 2 more minutes. Remove from oven, then cut into patties. Slice open and separate each party roll. Using a spatula lift pattie with onion layer onto each bun bottom. Top each slider with a pickle slice then the bun lid. Serve immediately. Makes 12 sliders depending on how big you cut them.
Sprinkle 9x13 pan with minced onion flakes.

Spread meat evenly and sprinkle with seasoning salt. I love Von Hanson's Special Spice!

Meanwhile, get all other ingredients ready.

Drain juices, and blot with paper towel.

Top with six slices of cheese and bake for roughly two additional minutes, or until cheese melts. Cut into 12 equal pieces and serve warm on buns.
My school-ager lu-huved them!
ReplyDelete