Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Not your ordinary Peppermint Bark


I know I should be done with my Christmas baking, but I saw this recipe last weekend and I had to make it just once. I love peppermint bark, but with the added Rice Krispies it tastes even better!

Recipe from Bake at 350
1 7.5 oz bag of Starlight Mints (peppermint candies)
16 oz. bittersweet (or semisweet) chocolate, chopped (I used 4 4oz. blocks of the Ghiradelli 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate)
2 c. Rice Krispies
16 oz. white chocolate, chopped (I used 4 4oz. blocks of the Ghiradelli white chocolate)

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Crush the peppermint candies. Place the crushed peppermints in a fine sieve over a bowl and shake out all of the fine powder, leaving only the chunks. (The powder is great for hot chocolate.) Set aside.
In a bowl over a pot of simmering water, melt the bittersweet chocolate (I just melted mine in a bowl in the microwave for 30 second intervals).
Once melted, gently stir in the Rice Krispies.
Pour onto the prepared pan and spread with a rubber spatula. Place in the fridge until chocolate is set.
Melt the white chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water (again, I melted mine in the microwave in 30 second intervals). Pour over the bittersweet chocolate and spread quickly or it will start to marble. Sprinkle on the peppermint chunks.
Refrigerate 30 minutes or until set. Break into pieces.

1 comment: