
This was a favorite of Jay's while growing up. I never had it until I met him, but it is definitely one that I have made many times since. This recipe calls for 1 1/2 pounds of beef. I prefer this recipe because it makes a lot. If you are making it for a small family, I would consider using just one pound of beef, 1/2 cup rice, 1 1/2 cups water, 3 T. soy sauce, and 1 1/2 cups celery. Also, the chow mein noodles can all be mixed in, half in and half on the top, or you can just place all of them on the top. It depends if you like them crunchy or not. I prefer to put half in and half on the top.
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
3/4 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups water
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can cream of mushroom soup (healthy request)
1 can cream of chicken soup (healthy request)
4 T. soy sauce (reduced sodium)
2 cups celery (about 5 ribs)
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 bag chow mein noodles
cook ground beef for a few minutes until slightly browned.
Add onion and celery, and cook with beef until almost tender.
Add remaining ingredients except half of the chow mein noodles.
Put in a two quart casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for one hour and fifteen minutes (I only baked mine for one hour).
Uncover and layer with remaining chow mein noodles.
Return to oven, uncovered and bake an additional 15 minutes or until noodles are brown.
No comments:
Post a Comment